I know I have neglected this blog but I have been very busy installing, testing, uninstalling, reinstalling, changing, more testing, researching and updating my knowledge of Linux distros and their usefulness as an LTS.
I don’t like quoting myself but here is one.
I plan on setting up two servers, one of each flavor, and doing some side-by-side testing and evaluation as to:
- ease of installation
- availability of drivers
- installation of additional software packages
- ease of administration
That has been done. I thought I had found the right classroom server software and thought it was going to be okay. The last two points of my above quote is what eventually made me change plans.
I have changed the OS to EdUbuntu 10.4! I actually started with 8.10, supposedly the best version, but ended up working my way through all versions up to the current one. It has pretty much all I want. An easy to use GUI for administering the server, an easy to use package search and installation process and plenty of documentation. With this version I was even notified that non-OSS drivers were available for the box I am using as my server.
I plan on moving my research and testing to the Special Projects Lab on campus tomorrow. I hope to get the network up and running by the end of the week and start testing the security side to see what additional software I will need to install.
With that Info,